Friday, April 12, 2013

Our First Night

Levi had a pretty good night.  We had a few ups and downs. He has mostly slept, but when he did wake he was in a lot of pain and looked terrified. Partly, I think due to the pain and partly due to him trying to talk and cry and having no sound come out.  He calms down when I talk to him and he shook his head when I asked him if he was hurting. (He also stomped his little foot, which is not restrained.  ;) ) He signed, best he could with arm restraints, that he wanted water.  They were able to dip a sponge stick in some water and squeeze it it his mouth. Then they upt his pain Meds.  A little later he decided he would just try to bite through that vent tube in his mouth so that earned him a paralytic sedation drug. :(   He is now completely out.  I guess in some ways that is good since he was so miserable.  They also placed a cath in a few hours ago as he was not going to the bathroom.

He looks good though and his heart has been stable.  His oxygen has been fluctuating back down to around 74 but that is within a normal range for him.  We were ecstatic after surgery that it was 84.  Not sure why it went back down but hoping it rises this morning.  I stayed by his bed most of the night, awake or dozing lightly, so I would there if he woke.  Unfortunately, I moved to a chair behind his bed at 5:00 due to an X-ray that was being taken. I fell asleep and didn't wake until 5:30, which isn't bad in itself but I missed Dr. Willet coming in!!  Anyway, he told the nurse everything looked good and that he would do the bronchoscope on Tuesday to see if the trachea is healed enough to remove the vent.  That is an answer to prayer!! We were praying for Tuesday as Mark has to return to work on Thursday. Looking forward and praying for him to be a little more comfortable today and less agitated.

Everyone on the home front did great last night. Mark, Samuel, and Meg will be joining me at the hospital today.  We will be moving into the Ronald McDonald house so the little ones will be close by and Mark and I can rotate shifts.  The hospital is going to make an exception and let them visit as well!

"My hope is in you, Lord
All the day long.
I won't be shaken by drought or storm.
A peace that passes understanding is my song,
And I sing
My hope is in you, Lord." (Aaron Shust)

1 comment:

  1. PRAISE GOD for good news!! Soooo glad to hear the doctor will do the testing on Tuesday! We will pray that the vent can come out!! One of our nurses mentioned - if you are on a vent you might as well be sedated. They kept Darren sedated all 3 1/2 days he was on the vent. I was SOOOOOO happy when it was out!!!

    ReplyDelete